Costs and Registration
For the Student-Athlete
Season Registration Fee: $345*
*$305 goes to the FL League and $40 goes to NICA National
For the Coach
Coach License Fee: $25
Background checks are $11 for returning coaches (year 2-7) and $38 for a new coach.
Non-compliant Team Fee: $250*
Compliant Team Fee: $125**
*Teams that do not have a registered Level 3 Coach
**Teams that DO have a registered Level 3 Coach
All FICL registration occurs online in the PitZone (login HERE). Your favorite adult will receive an email invitation from a team coach to begin the registration process. PitZone problems? Check out NICA’s PitZone FAQ’s.
Season Five Registration Timeline
Coach and Team Registration Opens September 15th, 2023!
Student-Athlete Registration Opens October 15th, 2023!
Season Registration Closes February 3rd, 2023 at 11:59 PM!
The single flat fee of $345 covers the 2023-2024 season of participation, including league registration, insurance coverage, a season (October 15th – May 25th) of practices and group rides as well as participation in all 5 race events and the season ending Adventure Day celebration. In addition to supporting the Florida League as a year-round organization the season registration fees include and support:
- The FICL League experience!
- Team support and development
- NICA registration
- NICA insurance coverage
- FICL league registration
- Event development and production
- Team rides and events with certified NICA coaches
- Professionally led coaching education and advancement with top-quality youth sports coaching curriculum and philosophy
- Innovative and class leading youth development programming through sport
- A safe, professional, secure, and appropriate environment and experience for our participants
- NICA Adventure, GRiT (Girls Riding Together), and Teen Trail Corps events and activities
- Special offers from sponsors of NICA and the league, including discounts on product
Students will need to pay the season registration fee when registering for a team to be able to practice with the team for the entire season from October-May. The season registration fee is non-refundable and may not be broken up based on race attendance (no pro-rating for missed races). Exceptions may be made for season-ending injuries.
Check out our weather and refund policy.
The FICL offers need-based scholarships to cover league fees. Please use this link to apply for student-athletes.
The coach license fee of $25 covers the annual NICA fee, training webinars, access to numerous resources through NICA’s industry connections, including discounts on products, risk management best practices studies and implementation, and the how-to’s of starting a team and working with middle and high schoolers.
See below for a complete list of coach licensing costs:
- Background Check: Year 1 = $38; Years 2-7 = $11; Year 8 = $38
- CDC Concussion Training: FREE
- Athlete Abuse Prevention Training: FREE
- NICA Philosophy, Safety and Risk Management: FREE
- Coach License Level 1, 2, or 3 Course: FREE
- WFA or NICA Approved First Aid and CPR (required for Level 2 and 3): ~$100
- NICA OTB 101 (Required for Level 2 or 3): $35
- NICA Leaders’ Summit (Required for Level 3): $80
- CEU’s (Required every 3 years for Level 2 and 3): FREE to $50/CEU
The FICL offers need-based scholarships to cover league coach fees. Please use this link to apply for coaches.
Team Registration Fee:
This fee is managed by the Head Coach or Team Director in the PitZone. The fee covers the insurance for the entire season of practices, team events and races. The fee also helps offset the costs of ongoing team development and support, team trophies and awards, leaders and strong jerseys, On-the-Bike skills clinics and numerous support resources.
Participation Fees FAQs
Why does the league have this fee structure for student-athletes?
- This fee structure aligns participation costs with the programming the Florida league provides.
- It aligns the FICL with other interscholastic sports programs and promotes season long participation.
- It strengthens the financial stability of the FICL for long-term sustainability.
- It allows the FICL to cover all race and event venue expenses.
What other costs are there?
- Teams may have additional fees to cover jerseys and team operating costs. Check with your local team director for more information.
- Events and races are held in locations across the state and there may be travel costs associated with attending the races. Check with your local team director on team policies regarding travel.
- Equipment costs vary greatly but all participants will be required to have at a minimum the following equipment:
- Fully functioning mountain bike
- Hydration system
What if I don’t have the appropriate equipment?
- Many teams have extra equipment available for use. Check with your local team director for more information.
How do these costs compare to other youth sports?
- We strive to make participation with the FICL affordable while staying committed to providing high-quality professional events with safety as our top priority. That being said, there are countless expenses related to running these programs. We balance our financial needs between registration fees, sponsor partnerships, fundraising campaigns, etc. Our team practice and race programs run from October to May with membership and registration fees significantly lower than other youth sports. According to Stack.com and USA Today participation in other club sports run 3-10 times more than what it costs to participate with the FICL. We are also developing programs and events that will occur throughout the year! Stay tuned.